Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Limcan Walker/Certified Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Whitby to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Get the protection you need and call Limcan Walker/Certified Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Whitby at (289) 274-4367 to learn more.